Monday, April 25, 2005

feast or famine

Again. I know, I just got back from spring training like a month ago, and I'm burnt out already. I think it's baseball season. Or maybe just my job. I didn't get home til just now, which means the rest of the week is going to follow suit. No getting out early any point this week, so I think it's going to be Week 2 of At Least 27 Innings I Won't Watch. Crap.

It doesn't help that the NBA finals are on this week. So basically, I roll back home from work, look at my list of things to do, look at my couch, and then decide I'll "wake up really early tomorrow to write a sports article." Not only that, but by the time I get back from work, I'm so fuzzy from staring at a computer all day and thinking about things like "randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled" studies, that I can't even fully absorb anything on TV. Like certain things will pop out, whatever the announcers I guess deem important.

My mom always says that sports announcers do to the game what movie scores do to films. "It's just this ultimately meaningless background noise that would mean nothing if it stood by itself. But instead it tells us how we're supposed to feel about everything." I never thought about sports commentators dictating my emotional sports involvement, nor I suppose did I ever want to actually think this could be true. But she's right.

I think I flipped on the channel and the announcer was all fired up about Nowitski. A safe bet for something to be fired up about I guess. I seriously cannot believe it's only Monday. I swear on my cat, if it I get out of work by 7:00 tomorrow, I'm jumping on the 4 train and heading straight to the stadium.

Someone in my fantasy league proposed this trade:
Giambi, Jermaine Dye, and D. Roberts, for Ichiro.

And i"m going to say no. For a few reasons, but to be honest, the number 1 reason is because I dont have the mental capacity to rearrange my roster to accomodate this. Simple as that. I mean, if he tried to trade me lew ford for ichiro I probably would have said yes, just so I wouldnt have to deal with it, and because it would be easy.

You know that part in Hannibal at the end when Hannibal cuts open that guy's skull and starts cutting pieces of brain out and throws them on a grill while Agent Starling looks on? That's how I feel right now. Like some kind of mixture of all 3 characters in that scene.

Everyone I know will be happy to learn that I've found a new inane game to become obsessively competitive about, quasi-replacing beirut:

That arcade basketball game.

There's a bar around the corner from me that has that, a pool table, a dart board, and board games behind the counter. I called my friend all excitedly, like, "I FOUND MY NEW FAVORITE BAR IN THE UPPER EAST SIDE."

And she's like ooh, whats it like?

And I tell her, and there's this pause. Then:

Were you really at a bar? Or did you go to Kids Wide World of Sports or something?

****

So now i have something new to catalyze my daytime drinking. Who has it better than me.

1 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger mkenny59 said...

hey - i just wanted to say that i really enjoy your blog. a yankee fan friend of mine sent it my way, and i was shocked, and mostly pleased, to see that you have a link to my own blog (mikekenny). that's really cool. i'd like to link yours to mine (don't take that the wrong way) if i can ever figure out how to work this darn blog. the last time i checked, there was a problem with the problem page, whatever that means. anyway, keep up the great work. and don't get rid of ichiro.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker